Bio Midterm Exam 3
BIOLOGY 1081 Section 004 Fall 2015 Third Lecture Exam
Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
82. Which of the following statements about mitosis is true?
83. Which of the following phases of the cell cycle is not part of interphase?
84. The initiation of the S phase and the M phase of the cell cycle depends on a pair of molecules called _______ and _______.
85. Chromosomes contain large amounts of DNA-interacting proteins known as
86. During mitosis and meiosis the chromatin compacts. Which of the following processes takes place more easily because of this compaction?
87. The mitotic spindle is composed of
88. The mitotic spindle tends to originate from or terminate in
89. At the milestone that defines metaphase, the chromosomes
90. In plant cells, cytokinesis is accomplished by the formation of a(n)
91. A mechanism for increasing the genetic diversity of offspring is
92. A haploid cell is a cell
93. During meiosis, the sister chromatids separate during
94. The exchange of genetic material between chromatids on homologous chromosomes occurs during
95. A triploid plant has
96. The site on the chromosome occupied by a gene is called a(n)
97. Two different groups of imaginary schmoos live in geographically separated locations and rarely interbreed. On one occasion, a big-footed white schmoo does mate with a small-footed brown schmoo. Three offspring result: one big-footed brown schmoo and two small-footed brown schmoos. Which statement about the inheritance of color in schmoos is most likely to be correct?
98. Which of the following statements about Mendelian genetics is false?
a. Alternative forms of genes are called alleles.
99. In a(n) _______ cross, genes for two different characters separate.
100. In mice, short hair is dominant to long hair. If a short-haired individual is crossed with a long-haired individual and both long- and short-haired offspring result, one can conclude that
101. The genetic disease blue sclera is determined by an autosomal dominant allele. The eyes of individuals with this allele have bluish sclera. These same individuals may also suffer from fragile bones and deafness. This is an example of
102. When a given trait is the result of multigene action, one of the genes may mask the expression of one or all other genes. This phenomenon is termed
103. In tomatoes, tall is dominant to short, and smooth fruits are dominant to hairy fruits. A plant homozygous for both dominant traits is crossed with a plant homozygous for both recessive traits. The F1 progeny are tested and crossed with the following results: 78 tall, smooth fruits; 82 dwarf, hairy fruits; 22 tall, hairy fruits; and 18 dwarf, smooth fruits. These data indicate that the genes are
104. White eyes is a recessive sex-linked trait in fruit flies. If a white-eyed female fruit fly is mated to a red-eyed male, their offspring should be
106. Alleles for genes located on mitochondrial DNA are said to be maternally inherited. What is the reason for this pattern of inheritance?
107. The antiparallel relationship of the two strands of DNA refers to the
108. Which of the following is not found in DNA?
109. Purines include
110. The rules formulated by Erwin Chargaff state that
111. If a double-stranded DNA molecule contains 30 percent T, it must contain _______ percent G.
a. 20 b. 30 c. 40 d. 50
112. Double-stranded DNA looks a little like a ladder that has been twisted into a helix, or spiral. The side supports of the ladder are
113. The nitrogenous bases (and the two strands of the DNA double helix) are held together by
Last name___________________________ First name____________________ M#____________________
Figure 5. Draw a picture of a cell containing a single pair of homologous chromosomes during Telophase I of meiosis. Label all of the cell components directly involved during that phase. (5 pts)